Requirements for the Spanish nationality for residence
As you may know, since November 2015, there is a new procedure to process the application for Spanish nationality for residence, which allows you to carry out this procedure electronically through the portal that the Ministry of Justice has enabled for this purpose. However, before carrying out our nationality application, we must know if we comply with the requirements established by the Spanish legislation, which we can group in three:
1st LEGAL AND CONTINUED RESIDENCE IN SPAIN.
– The general assumption to apply for Spanish nationality for residence is when we can prove 10 years of legal and continued residence in Spain, and immediately prior to the request.
– However, you can apply for Spanish nationality with only 5 years of residence in Spain in cases in which the applicant has obtained refugee status in Spain.
– In the case of national people of origin of Ibero-American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal or Sephardic, may apply for Spanish nationality at the time of 2 years of legal and continued residence in Spain, and immediately prior to the request .
– The residence period of 1 year will be sufficient for:
– Whoever was born in the Spanish territory.
– Who has not practise the right to opt opportunely.
– The one who has been legally subject to the guardianship or fostering of a Spanish citizen or institution for two consecutive years, even if the person continues in this situation at the time of the request.
– The one who has married a Spaniard.
– The widow or widower of a Spanish person.
Careful! The residence must be continued and immediately prior to the presentation of the application and the time as a student doesn´t count for nationality purposes.
2nd PROVE GOOD CIVIC BEHAVIOR.
This is basically summarized in the lack of criminal and police records, both in Spain and in your country of origin, and be up to date with your tax and social security obligations.
3rd ENOUGH GRADE OF INTEGRATION IN SPAIN.
The compliance of this requirement is achieved by passing two exams:
– Exam of Spanish language level A2. This test should only be done by foreigners who are not originally from a Spanish-speaking country.
– CCSE exam. This exam must be done by all applicants of Spanish nationality.
Given the specialty of the subject, we recommend you to go to a law firm specialized in immigration laws. If you are in a similar situation and need our legal assistance, you can contact our office through the contact form on this website; you can also email us to email@example.com or phone us to the number +34 95863 19 38.